- Freesia is a genus of about 20 species of South African flowering plants of the Iris Family “Iridaceae.”
- Named in honor of Friederich Heinrich Theodor Freese, a German Physician and a student of South African plants.
- One of the most popular freesia varieties is named Ballerina
- Unlike most other flowers, where the white varieties smell most strongly, pink and red varieties have the strongest scent.
- The ”baby” freesias bloom for up to seven days and come in a wide range of colours including yellows, reds, pinks and whites.
- Freesia only flowers when temperatures are below 21C. It is through a special method of soil cooling and environmental controls that allow Freesias to be grown practically year-round by the flower farms.
Needless to say they are my favourive flowers 🙂 Pictures were taken earlier today after the rain.